Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Can't put it down" book recommendation?

I'm looking for some book recommendations. I like a wide variety of fiction topics (sci fi, historical fiction, fantasy, classics), but usually not interested in anything by authors like Danielle Steel, Stephen King, Nora Roberts, Janet Evanovich, etc. Some books that I've enjoyed:



Harry Potter series

Twilight series

Pillars of the Earth

The Other Boleyn Girl

The Host

Memoirs of a Geisha

The Secret Life of Bees

Water for Elephants

My Sister's Keeper

Jane Eyre

Pride and Prejudice



Thanks for any recommendations!

"Can't put it down" book recommendation?
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time -Mark Haddon

The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett %26amp; Neil Gaiman

Girlfriend in a Coma - Douglas Coupland

Dangerous Angels The Weetzie Bat Books - Francesca Lia Block

His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

Lamb The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore


Mansfield Park - Jane Austen, Kathryn Sutherland, Tony Tanner

Midwives - Chris Bohjalian

Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier

Rebecca - Daphne DuMaurier, Emma Fielding

Where the Heart Is - Billie Letts

Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood - Rebecca Wells

Little Women - Louisa May Alcott

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Anne of the Island - L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Avonlea - Lucy Maud Montgomery, L. M. Montgomery

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - Helen Fielding

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver

A Room with a View - E.M. Forster, Oliver Stallybrass

All Things Bright and Beautiful - James Herriot

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute

Number the Stars - Lois Lowry

Howards End - E. M. Forster

Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel - Helen Fielding

Anne's House of Dreams - L.M. Montgomery

The Nanny Diaries : A Novel - Nicola Kraus, Emma McLaughlin

The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck

Short Stories - Edgar Allan Poe, Derek Strange

Open House - Elizabeth Berg

The Dive from Clausen's Pier - Ann Packer

Holes - Louis Sachar

Farmer Boy - Laura Ingalls Wilder, Garth Williams"Can't put it down" book recommendation?
I suggest "The Birth of Venus" by Sarah Dunant. It's a historical fiction read that has some intrigue to it. (Sarah Dunant also writes mysteries) I'm not a huge historical fiction reader but this has become one of my most recommended books - I work in a bookstore. (I also recommend "In the Company of a Courtesan" by her)




I liked the Thursday Next series- its about a literary detective who can travel in and out of books. She works to protect books and their characters. Its a comedic fantasy set in a parallel universe that any book lover or historian would enjoy.



Its basically a series for people who read a lot and enjoy British humor. The first one is The Eyre Affair. "Can't put it down" book recommendation?
You've enjoyed a number of my favourite books. Have you read Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones? Or Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother? Going back a bit, I've read and re-read Harris's Fatherland (a really interesting premise, that the allies lost WWII). Very recently, I had a hard time tearing myself away from The Rice Mother.



And going way back, Daphne du Maurier's books that make my list of favourites are Rebecca and The Scapegoat, both set in then-modern times, both quite thrilling, and both take a twist at the end.
Try the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray. I couldn't put them down.

1st book- A Great and Terrible Beauty

2nd book- Rebel Angels

3rd book- The Sweet Far Thing

These books have a variety of different themes intertwined-fantasy,romance, and action.

Here's Libba Bray's website that will tell you about the books:

http://www.libbabray.com/LBWriting.html



Enjoy :)
Wow, we have a lot in common when it comes to reading! Books that I have read and loved that aren't on your list include ALL books by Jodi Picoult. I see you read My Sister's Keeper and although I loved it, it isn't her best. Also certain things by Victoria Holt are good. I would look into her.
I bet you'd love Peter Straub. He's my personal favorite anyway! Based on what you say you like, i would recommend Shadowland and Lost Boy, Lost Girl. I love ALL of his books, but those were my favorites and seem like they fit your style. Hope you enjoy them as much as i did!
"Fight Club" Chuck Palahniuk

"Sharp Objects" Gillian Flynn

"The Lovely Bones"

Anything by Kim Harrison, her Rachel Morgan series is great.
"Sula" by Toni Morrison

"White Oleander" by Janet Fitch

"Who Will Run the Frog Hospital" by Lorrie Moore

The diaries of Anais Nin

"The Scarlett Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Something Not Seen

Of Mice And Men

Diares of An Frank

Chicken Soup For the ___________Soul Book's

The Art Of War

Shallow Baby

Pefect You


Both Wuthering Heights (Bronte) and Medea (Euripides) are fantastic!
I know it's hackneyed, but, try "The Hobbit." Read it all in one day, and yer brain will light on fire.
We have a lot of books in common :)



I loved the book Looking For Alaska by John Green. It's pretty amazing.
I think you'd like some if not most of these...



The A List (series of 10) - Zoey Dean

About the goings on of the teenage children of the rich and famous, contains a wide variety of material - love, hate, jealousy etc. Loved it!



Girl Meets Boy, Guy Next Door, All American Girl, Avalon High, etc. - Meg Cabot

I absoloutly love Meg Cabot's books! I would especially recommend the Girl Meets Boy %26amp; Guy Next Door as well as the third in that series, I immensly enjoyed them! Some are intended for adults but most for youth and I love them all!



Lioness Quartet, Wild Magic Quartet, Trickster, etc. - Tamora Pierce

Tamora Pierce's books are mainly set in the land of Tortall in medieval times, they use the same characters just at different stages of their lives and different books/series' focus on different people. They consist of fighting, magic, love, etc.



The diaries of kelly ann (2 books) - by Liz Rettig

These recount the goings on of an older teenager as she strugles to make decisions and learn to trust in others. The second one, Now or Never is about her relationship with a boy and is funny but romantic and suspencful at the same time.



It's A Mall World After All - Not sure who wrote it though...

Comedy of a girl and how she falls in love with her best friend's boyfriend's bestfriend while stalking her friend's boyfriend in an attempt to prove he is a lying cheating scumbag. A very good read %26amp; lovey but funny at the same time.



I'd Tell You I Love You But I'd Have to Kill You - Ally Carter

About a girl brought up as a spy and enrolled in a leading spy school who falls in love with an ordinary boy and can鈥檛 tell him who she actually is. Funny. There is a second in the series called To Spy or Not to Spy, it鈥檚 just as good.



Possibly the S.A.S.S. series - Numerous Authors

About the travels of students and what happens to them on their stay - love etc. Not brill but an ok read



Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paloini

Love them, you have to read them, Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr!



Sweet Valley High Books - ???

I can鈥檛 remember who wrote these but they鈥檙e a pretty good read even if they are kind of old. If you鈥檙e into series鈥檚 these are good as their鈥檚 over 100 books



The Last Summer (Of You and Me) - Ann Brashares

A good book but immensly sad, it is probably better for older teens or adults.



Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

I haven鈥檛 actually read any books by Stephenie Meyer but they鈥檙e so highly reccommended that I鈥檝e reserved one at the library. I believe that they鈥檙e a love story involving a vampire.



I have more suggestions if you want to hear them, just contact me or check out my website, http://www.freewebs.com/greatteennovels/

Hope you find something you like here!
  • magellan roadmate
  • ameren missouri
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment