Friday, January 20, 2012

Have you read Ken Folletts, Pillars of the Earth?

Sorry, don't mean to be boring but I have just discovered the book site.

What did you think? Was it as gripping as I found it?Have you read Ken Folletts, Pillars of the Earth?
This was a marvellous book, one of the best ever. I bought it when it was first published, which is a while back now but, as you've reminded me of it, I shall have to read it again!Have you read Ken Folletts, Pillars of the Earth?
Not yet! Everyone I know who have, all undoubtedly recommend it.Have you read Ken Folletts, Pillars of the Earth?
I read it when I was pregnant with my oldest son back in 1989. It really was a beautiful novel and I loved the interplay of cultures and the honesty behind the tremendous amount of hard, dangerous labor that went into building a cathedral.



My favorite character was Jacques/Jack Shareburg...and for a funny reason. At the time, I was also working very hard on the French line in my family tree and had hit a brick wall. Like the characters in the book, I was looking at a name from an English-speaking perspective and couldn't find any records on him. It was while I was half-way through the book that I realized I needed to get a French perspective on the spelling of the name. I called a professor at Loyola University and asked for help...and in 20 minutes she figured out the true spelling of the name. In two weeks, I had all the records on my mystery ancestor...and it was totally due to the lightbulb that went on when I read "Pillars of the Earth."



It really is an awesome book, even as long and in-depth as the story gets.
It is sitting on my nightstand right now. I hope to begin reading it by the end of next week.



I had started reading it about 10 years ago; I got about 1/4 of the way through it....and left it on the airplane I had been on! I never got it back, and didn't obtain another copy until just a few weeks ago. I'm eager to restart and then finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment