Thursday, January 26, 2012

Has anyone read The Pillars of the Earth???

I've just read it and I would like to hear some coments from other people...Has anyone read The Pillars of the Earth???
I am reading it right now and It is very very good....I would love to talk about it in about 80 pages ..hehehe

But I will say that so far, it has a wonderful array of characters you can really identify with. I find myself really genuinely angry at the treacherous people, and elated at the victories of the people I like. Ken Follett did an excellent job bringing the emotions and attitudes of people 1,000 years ago to life..and they are very similar to ours. Great read.



Well, now I have finally finished it!

First of all, I am very impressed with the books' historical accuracy....The problems with royal succession that plagued half the book, for example.The author even got the time of day correct with his account of Thomas Beckett's assassination. It's the little details that impress me the most, like the fact that Thomas Beckett wore a "hair shirt" or cilice for penance, or that Edward Grim was present at his death and received an arm wound. With a little research, I have found these things are believed to have really occurred.

But most of all, I am most impressed with the lives of the characters. I got really caught up in everyones lives, and was very happy to see how events worked out for most of them.

As I said before, these peoples struggles didn't seem all that different from what we all go through today, minus the technology and such, of course!

My hubby insisted I read this book, and I didn't want to, but now I am very glad I did.
  • government auctions
  • bully dog
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment