Friday, January 20, 2012

Who has read the book the pillars of the earth by ken follett, any good?

Right I know nothing about this author, never heard of him, yet I got this book for chrimbo, give me a quick insight into what its about. ta very much.Who has read the book the pillars of the earth by ken follett, any good?
Ken Follett, or Harry Patterson, is mainly known for writing spy stories like "The Key To Rebbecca" and "The Eye of the Needle," but he has taken time to write a couple of really good historical fiction pieces.



I found "Pillars of Earth" to work on several levels. It is a darn good mystery based on the infamous "White Ship" which sank in 1120 killing numerous royals and muddying the succession of the kings of France and England. This led, eventually, to the Hundred Years' Wars. It's also a romance about a poor, but hard-working builder, and the first glimmer of the middle class at the end of the Dark Ages.



It was a bit slow starting out, but I loved "The Pillars of the Earth."
I came across this book lying on my mother-in-law's kitchen table. I casually picked it up and read the first sentence of eight words. By then, I was already hooked, and knew I absolutely HAD to read the book.



That's never happened to me before or since, but most times I relate this story, people either quote that first sentence to me verbatim, or say it had the same effect on them.



I suggest you read the first sentence. After that, it doesn't matter what it's about, you'll probably feel you have to read it anyway.



I'm not gonna spoil it for you but telling you the sentence or the rough story; suffice it to say that I was never disappointed at any point, and neither was I over Xmas as I read the sequel.Who has read the book the pillars of the earth by ken follett, any good?
It is an excellent book! Ken Follets best work!! If you read it and enjoy it then I suggest Sarum, Russka, and London. (not by the same author but the same type of story)



the book centers around the construction of a cathedral in england and follows the people in and around it for generations.
I have read this book three times. It is absolutely fabulous. I have just started the follow up 'World without end' I was an Archaeology student when I first read it, so it was of extra interest. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It certainly changes your view when you look at cathedrals.Who has read the book the pillars of the earth by ken follett, any good?
This is one of those books you never want to end. I absolutely loved it. It is the best historical fiction has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment