Saturday, January 14, 2012

Based on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, am I right about the hierarchy of society during the Middle Ages?

At the highest I have Noble (kings, earls, lords, etc), then Knights, then Tradesmen, then peasants. I'm not sure where to put merchants and outlaws. if I should include them at all.Based on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, am I right about the hierarchy of society during the Middle Ages?
You forgot priests etc. Merchants would be above trades men. Outlaws obviously at the bottom

Dependent on the time priests could be above or below earls and lords. You should be able to find info on the web about this type of thing.Based on Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet, am I right about the hierarchy of society during the Middle Ages?
Merchants go between knights and tradesmen. Outlaws would go at the bottom.



Don't forget clergy, which has its own hierarchy. A bishop might be above a knight, while a small parish priest might be equal to a tradesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment