Friday, January 20, 2012

In the novel Pillars of the Earth, was Tom builder a hero or a leader? neither? and why?

I have to type a paper based on the novel The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. The focus question is: Argue wether Tom Builder is a hero or a leader? I have not even cracked into the book ( even though i hear its very good) and my paper is due in less than 24 hours. If anyone can answer that question or just give me some background on Tom Builder and what kind of person he was i would really appreciate it!.In the novel Pillars of the Earth, was Tom builder a hero or a leader? neither? and why?
Jordan, I don't do people's homework for them. Sorry. There's a lesson to be learned in accepting the consequences for not doing the reading.



That said, I'd say Tom was neither a hero nor a leader. He was more an Everyman who had a dream and allowed it to take over his life in order to see it come to fruition. In a way, he led by being the designer and superintendent, but he was more like a construction foreman who also pitched in than a leader who inspired. Of course, that's just one person's opinion, and I read it at least ten years ago, so my memory's pretty hazy.



Hang onto the novel for future reading, when nobody's grading or quizzing. It's pretty interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment